Vacuum Monitoring of Diesel Fuel Systems
Vacuum gauges and alarm switches, shown above, are used to monitor your diesel fuel system, including the filter element. As the element becomes clogged, fuel flow becomes more restricted resulting an increase in vacuum on the engine side of the fuel filter.
A vacuum gauge can be used for more than just checking the condition
of your fuel filter. Many variables in your fuel system will affect the readings
on your gauge. Here are some examples:
Some possible causes for
|Some possible causes for
- Dirty Primary fuel filter
- High density filter media being used (2 micron filter cartridge. 30 micron is recommended)
- The use of a fuel strainer on the pick up tube in the tank
- Undersized fuel Lines
- Fuel valves not fully open
- Blocked fuel tank venting kinked hose or
insects in the overboard screen (check your Fire Extinguisher Hose ends
- Fuel hose inner liner collapsed
- New secondary fuel filter
- Lower fuel level in tanks
- Fuel Gelling (very cold temp.)
- Dirty secondary fuel filter
- High level of fuel in tanks
- Worn fuel pump
- New Primary filter
Find our vacuum products in our Engine Room.
- Readings should be taken at cruising RPM or higher while under load. The drag point feature really comes in handy because it remembers the maximum vacuum.
- Some engines use the fuel flow in the system for cooling of the injectors
and pump. Even though the engine is running well, you might have a improper
fuel flow. Check with your engine dealer.
- Most Diesel engines use a mechanical fuel pump (lift pump), which will cause
the needle to vibrate. Dash mounted (hose run dampens) and gauges with a restricter
will also dampen this effect. With the proper valves it can also be used to
check for any leaks in the suction side of the system.
Click here for Racor marine filter information.
Compact and rugged Designed for many years of operation. Daylight sensor turns Anchor light on/off Made in USA!
On Sale through February. MSRP
$371.00, Now $310.00!
Everything you need to upgrade your Yanmar,Perkins or other saddle mount dual foot alternators to the most efficient charging system for AGM or flooded cell batteries
Charge faster Charge better!
Compact and rugged Designed for many years of operation. Mounting bracket included Made in USA!
On Sale Now. MSRP
$224.00, Now $185.00!
Be safe - Light up your cockpit and keep an extra anchor light on board
Doubles as a cockpit/ utiltiy light
The ultra bright pocket light!
"Toughest and Brightest" - Practical Sailor
Hook and pull action slices entangled lines from your prop or rudder!
It's programmable! Don't let your batteries go low without warning
Shuts off or turns on electrical devices automatically
A drop of oil from your dip stick gives you four important parameters: Sediment, Oil condition, Water in oil, Fuel in oil