SPM Frequently Asked Questions
- What's SPM? Sound Proofing peel and stick tiles designed specifically
for sailboat auxiliary diesel engine compartments. Great for Gen-Sets too!
- What's involved? Have you ever put peel and stick tiles down on a
kitchen floor? That's what's involved. Even a complete numbskull can soundproof
his engine compartment with SPM in an afternoon. You won't believe your ears,
or the tachometer for that matter. See our EASY
- Why does it work so well? It's simple. We designed a product using
the latest technology developed for the trucking industry and modified it
to suit the marine environment. The next step was to make it user friendly
and easy to install in a cruising sailboat. That's where the one-foot tile
squares and the peel and stick idea came in.
- How does it work? A hard 1/8" dense polymer barrier disrupts
loud engine noises canceling some and reflecting some more. A 1" limp
sound absorbing semi-closed cell foam absorbs the rest. The inside surface
is laminated with a tough & durable finish. It's easy to clean and can
take considerable abuse. The outside surface is coated with a very aggressive
peel and stick adhesive designed for fiberglass, wood or metal. Once it's
stuck on your grease-free surface it's on for good.
- Why is SPM soundproofing better then any other marine soundproofing?
SPM is one whole heck of a lot easier to install. There is virtually no
cutting waste You can buy what you need with our convenient sizes. If you
make a mistake you didn't ruin the job. You can probably use that tile elsewhere.
You don't have to do the whole job in one shot. Do the loudest most annoying
areas first. SPM's hard but flexible surface holds up extremely well to engine
room abuse and will not tear SPM sound proofing tiles are "quiet as all
get out" (up to 90% noise reduction throughout the diesel engine range)
Each tile has a mass of 1.44 pounds and is 1.125" thick SPM is made of
the highest quality materials available at any price
- Can I cut SPM tiles? Yes, SPM cuts with a good scissors or a utility
knife. Mark, check your fit, peel & stick. You'll be done in no time
- Does SPM bend around curved surfaces? Yes, SPM tiles are flexible
around curves to a radius of 3"
- What about overhead areas, do I need to mechanically fasten the tiles?
Not usually. SPM uses an extremely aggressive adhesive that has stood
the test of time under-hood in cross-country trucks. Make sure your surface
is clean and in good condition. If not use #8 1.1/4 stainless screws if there
is a problem area. Since SPM is a hard surface you can screw into it if need
be without special "hangers".
- Is it possible to order SPM tiles individually? Yes, start with one
of our kits. If you need more just drop us an e-mail. We will ship the exact
number of additional tiles at the same price / tile.
- Do I need to use tape? Do I need to tape the seams? No tape is needed
since SPM tiles are cut exactly square. The seams butt up against each other
and look professional.
- Need to talk to a technical expert? Please feel free to call us at
Non-lanolin 100% synthetic formula US Navy spec.
Charges deeper, faster and without maintenance!
Will not spill or leak!
Compact and rugged Designed for many years of operation Made in USA
White is out of stock. Solve onboard mounting problems fast! A little goes a long way!
It's programmable! Don't let your batteries go low without warning
Shuts off or turns on electrical devices automatically
Keep your engine safe from thieves!
In Stock Hook and pull action slices entangled lines from your prop or rudder!
Use on all electrical contacts to prevent corrosion.
Rated number one by "Practical Sailor" Dec. 2010